Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas recognized by the world so far. It can be poisoned or killed according to the level of concentration. Especially in closed areas such as indoors, the poisoning rate and mortality rate are higher. Therefore, it is very necessary to install carbon monoxide detectors.
What's the job of a carbon monoxide detector?
Monitors level of carbon monoxide in the air
Sounds the alarm when the amount exceeds safe levels
Who needs a carbon monoxide detector?
The role of carbon monoxide mentioned above is mainly to monitor dangerous concentrations of carbon monoxide and issue an alarm in advance to let people evacuate to the outdoors. Simply put, it is to protect people. The populations mentioned below are all in great need of carbon monoxide detectors, even if there is no carbon monoxide source around them.
The elderly and children: These groups of people have weak body resistance, and low concentrations of carbon monoxide may cause poisoning. For example, a concentration of 50ppm of carbon monoxide can make an adult feel dizzy, and if it is an elderly person, this concentration can even make him unable to move. Therefore, for families with elderly people and children, install carbon monoxide detectors as soon as possible.
Company: As a large indoor venue, the company has a large number of employees, many electrical equipment, and many lines. However, any fire caused by aging electrical appliances or carbon monoxide accumulation caused by other gas equipment will cause safety accidents. Therefore, necessary safety measures must be taken. It is suggested here that carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors should be installed in the office area, and the number of smoke detectors can be a little more, because there are many power sources and lines in the office area, which are easy to cause electrical fires. In the kitchen, heat alarms and carbon monoxide detectors can be installed. In addition to this, carbon monoxide detectors should be installed in any area with gas-burning equipment.
Hospital: The hospital is also a large indoor place. Because the hospital stores many medicines and the use of medical alcohol is very frequent, many volatile gases float in the hospital, including low-concentration carbon monoxide gas. Therefore, it is also very common to install carbon monoxide detectors in hospitals. However, false positives from carbon monoxide detectors are also frequent in hospitals. The UK fire brigade makes up to 3,200 calls a year due to false alarms from carbon monoxide detectors, with hospitals accounting for hundreds of them. But for the safety of people, even if it is a false alarm, the fire brigade will be called out.
Areas required by regulations: In the United Kingdom, the law requires carbon monoxide detectors to be installed in homes. However, the only areas where the law is actually issued and implemented are currently only Scotland and Wales. These two areas are mandatory for all households before October 1, 2022. Carbon monoxide detectors must be installed or face fines of up to £30,000.
Public places: As long as it is an indoor public place, a complete set of safety equipment must be installed, such as: smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, linked alarms, fire extinguishers, etc., such as libraries, indoor sports rooms, bars, KTVs, etc.
Maintaining a carbon monoxide detector
For the maintenance of carbon monoxide detectors in public places, there will be special maintenance personnel for maintenance. The following mainly talks about how to maintain the detector at home.
Once you install a carbon monoxide detector, follow these steps to make sure it works and provides the best protection possible:
- Ensure the detector is between 15-20 feet away from a source of carbon monoxide, like a fireplace or furnace, because low levels of carbon monoxide present nearby may trigger the alarm unnecessarily
- Ensure nothing is covering or blocking the detector
- Ensure the detector is not near a window or door
- Test the detector on a regular basis
- Vacuum the detector monthly to remove dust and dirt that may clog the sensor. Be sure not to clean with any chemicals or solvents as that can damage the sensor.