One of the most common questions for anyone who owns an RV or camper is how to protect the camper from theft. Protecting your camper from thieves and speculators is a reality that no camper or RV owner should lose sight of.
Fortunately, there's a lot you can do to reduce your chances of being targeted by thieves and make it harder for them to try.
Here I've listed a number of safety ideas for you to consider.
Don't leave your keys in the camper van without you, even for a moment. This includes de-icing your drive, buying fuel, or going into the store. If your van is stolen with keys inside, your insurance company may not pay.
Keep your car keys out of sight and away from unlocked doors or open Windows, which are the most vulnerable places for thieves to break into.
Immobiliser or Alarm
The average camper is equipped with a certified built-in alarm and alarm. You should check your manual for accurate specifications.
However, not all lorries have alarms, and lorries before 1998 May not have anti-theft devices.
If your van does not have alarms or burglar alarms, it may be worth considering retrofitting these. In addition to improving the safety and peace of mind of your camper, this can also reduce your insurance premiums.
Tips: Check your vehicle's manual to learn how to temporarily disable motion sensors. This allows you to lock your van and sound an alarm when you sleep at night, and when you transport it on a ferry or train.
Steering locks for motorhomes
- A steering wheel lock that helps to prevent your car from being stolen
- A robust physical and visual deterrent
- 5 yr guarantee, 10,000 key combinations, extra keys may be purchased
- Has a flashing LED and snaps shut without the key
- Quick and easy to fit - see the short video on the left
it doesn't take up too much space when not in use- essential in a motorhome or campervan.
Motorhome security door locks
- Powerful security block style locks with door frame attachment
- Anodised aluminium anti-theft protection
You are allowed to lock it internally and externally. There's no point in having something you can only use from the outside while you sleep -- it's dangerous to have something you can't unlock from the inside!
Carbon Monoxide Alarm
An RV carbon monoxide detector can save lives. Safety comes first in a home on wheels. Protecting you and your loved ones from breathing in toxic gases should be near the top of your checklist.
You shouldn’t inhale carbon monoxide. It can cause a headache, dizziness, stomach ache, chest pain, confusion, or death. However, a detector could prevent a major disaster.
- ✅MEET THE LATEST EN 50291-1:2018 – Updated closely according to The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015, label with the document code “EN 50291:2018” released by TUV. It is important for you to make sure your CO alarm is labeled with the latest code, not only for your own properties but also the commercial and residential tenancy.
- ✅SEALDED IN 10-YEAR LITHIUM BATTERY – A lithium battery comes with the CO alarm that operates worry-free for 10 years. No more low battery chirps go off in the midnight. No battery replacement is required but simply replace the whole CO alarm at the end of 10 years when low battery chirp is off. Our product has 10-year life-time warranty for your peace of mind.
- ✅SMALL & PORTABLE – The CO alarm is 7 X 7 cm, even smaller than a human hand. The neat and stylish look blends naturally into any room of your home. As there is a built-in battery, no hard wire work is requirement. Simply hang it on anywhere you need, such as home, offices, RVs and camp sites. Our CO alarm will be a trusted device to guard your health and safety.
- ✅DIGITAL DISPLAY & INDICATOR LIGHT – The digital display screen shows the real-time CO level in the environment. The three indicator lights show you the current status of the CO alarm: the green light flashing slowly means the CO alarm works properly; the yellow light means an error/fault; the red light warns you the CO level is above the normal level. The warning chirp is as loud as 85dB.
- ✅INDOOR & OUTDOOR USE – Our portable lithium battery CO alarm is suitable for indoor and outdoor use. It is accurate and durable. It is small and light to be carried around. You can use it at home, in your office, in your tent and RV, and wherever the CO level might be a concern.
As you’re going through your checklist of safety features on your RV, be sure you have a quality RV carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide isn’t something to take chances with. Preparation will keep you and others protected. Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your RV yet?
Motorhome Security Camera
Although security cameras won't stop anyone from breaking in, they will let us see who the thieves are and scare away potential thieves .
- Mobile connectivity - Works anywhere on compatible 3G/4G LTE mobile networks
- Weather-resistant: Put Arlo anywhere-indoors or out
- Live streaming - watch live streamed or recorded videos using free Arlo app
- Night vision - See what's happening even in the dark, operating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° C to 45° C)
- 100 percent wire-free - Free of power cords and wiring hassles
- Note: country specific adapters contained in a box under camera packaging
- Works with Amazon Alexa, Echo Show, FireTV and Arlo smart home security lights
I hope you've found these tips useful. If you have, please share this article with your friends on social media so they can benefit too.
Head to our motorhome devices page for more tips and ideas.