This common Sense section provides answers to the most common health questions (FAQs) about carbon monoxide. For more information, check out Broejnsmarthome.com
This general Knowledge section is one of a series of summaries about hazardous substances and their health effects. As this substance may harm you, it is important that you understand this information. The effects of exposure to hazardous substances depend on the dose, duration, mode of exposure, personal characteristics and habits, and the presence of other chemicals.
What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, non-irritating, odourless, tasteless gas.
It is widely present in indoor and outdoor air because carbon fuels are not burned adequately
The source of its generation can be divided into two categories: artificial and natural. The main anthropogenic source is automobile exhaust.
The concentration of carbon monoxide in indoor air depends on household appliances, such as kerosene lamps and gas heaters, stoves, stoves, generators, and other gasolin-powered equipment. Cigarette smoke can also increase the concentration of carbon monoxide in a room.
Carbon monoxide is used industrially to make compounds such as acetic anhydride, polycarbonate, acetic acid and polyketone.
How does carbon monoxide change when it gets into the environment?
- Carbon monoxide enters the ring mainly through natural sources and combustion of fuel oil
- It can stay in the air for about two months.
- Carbon monoxide reacts with other chemicals and is separated in the air and convert to carbon dioxide.
- Or it can be broken down by microbes in the soil to form carbon dioxide.
- Co does not accumulate in plants or animal tissues.
Under what circumstances am I exposed to carbon monoxide?
- Inhalation of gases from improperly installed/filtered cookstoves, stoves, heaters and generators.
- Inhaling air containing automobile exhaust.
- Breathing air containing cigarette smoke.
- Work in industries that burn gas and coal, in smoke-filled areas Work or work in an area with a lot of car exhaust.
How does carbon monoxide affect my health?
Exposure to high levels can be life-threatening, and carbon monoxide is the leading cause of death from poisoning in the United States.
According to the report, people who inhale carbon monoxide experience headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, blurred vision, confusion, chest pain, weakness, heart failure, breathing difficulties, seizures and coma, while people with heart or lung disease are more vulnerable to the toxic effects of carbon monoxide.
How likely is carbon monoxide to cause cancer?
The US Department of Public Health and Human Services (DHHS), the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) and the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) do not classify carbon monoxide as carcinogenic to humans.